Oct 29, 2018
Nothing sums up the challenges of sickle cell pain better than
what our guest, Dr. Zempsky, quotes in the interview, "like having
a thousand heart attacks". Anyone who's been involved in
taking care of a sickle cell patient in pain, knows that this
expression can easily describe the experience of patients and
healthcare providers alike! Todays episode is focused on
understanding the nature of pain in sickle cell disease,
simplifying and improving the care of these patients, resulting in
Takeaways in This Episode:
- The most common types of pain presentations in Sickle cell
patients and how to differentiate them.
- What challenges do clinicians face in taking care of sickle
- There's more to sickle cell pain than what we've long believed
(Hint:It's not just
- Do the the inflammatory markers play any role in sickle
- Why are sickle cell disease patients having “heart
- Should we treat sickle cell crisis pain like post-operative
- The added challenges with improved sickle cell disease care and
increased life expectancy of sickle cell patients.
- What specific benefits does aggressive early management of
vaso-occlusive episodes offer?
- Are there early changes or signs that indicate transition from
acute to chronic sickle cell pain?
- What our ethical mandate as clinicians is, for our pain
- Where does the evidence for non-opioid analgesics in management
of sickle cell pain fall?
- Should sickle cell patients be following any particular dietary
and nutritional supplements guidelines?
- What he says about the role of vitamin D or glutamine and other
supplements in sickle cell pain
- What advice have we, as medical community, given our sickle
cell patients and their parents that we are having to reverse the
course on that now?
- What his recommendations on activity for hospitalized sickle
cell patients are.
- What should our goal(s) be for sickle cell patients?
- What crucial steps in care of sickle cell patients when
presenting to the urgent care or emergency room lead to improved
- Quality care indicators for care of sickle cell patients in
- Utility of Individualized Care Plans in the care of sickle cell
A Parent’s Pain Relief
William Zempsky, MD
Diagnostic Criteria for Chronic Sickle Cell Disease Pain.
and Treatment of Sickle Cell Pain in the Emergency